One Stroke Inks is the innovator of true low temperature screen printing inks. First, we pioneered the ELT Series (ELT = extreme low temperature). This ink put an end to so many heat-related screen printing problems. However, this was only the beginning. We needed ELT-S Series.
What does the “S” stand for? The “S” is for stretch and softness. ELT needed an upgrade to handle compression tees, running pants, and singlets. We invented a special S-Additive to allow for these extreme screen printing situations and incorporated it into the already successful ELT Series formula. Obviously, we did not want to compromise bleed resistance or opacity by adding the S-Additive. We had to make some adjustments and improvements as we wanted this new ink to be an amazing improvement. ELT-S Series was born.
With the history out of the way, why should you be screen printing with ELT-S Series inks? The better question is why not? This ink will cure as low as 250ºF. This low cure temperature will prevent so many heat related screen printing problems. These problems include:
- Dye migration.
- Fabric discoloration.
How about some other non-traditional benefits? Think about the incredible energy savings you will pocket by turning your conveyor dryers down so dramatically. In my opinion, the energy savings alone makes ELT and ELT-S our most environmentally friendly inks. Your production team won’t mind either. The amount of heat in your shop will be far less abrasive.
ELT-S Series inks don’t just cure at a lower temperature, they flash cure very quickly. Compared to most inks, the flash time will be about half as long. This provides another set of low temperature benefits in which most other plastisol inks cannot compare:
- Longer-lasting platen adhesive.
- Prevents shrinking which leads to poor color registration.
- Prevents dye migration.
- Prevents fabric discoloration so common with fluorescent tees.
We also wanted a plastisol ink to replace silicone ink as it is such a hassle to work with. For those not keeping score, here is a list of reasons you don’t want to screen print with silicone inks. Keep in mind all of these statements are found on the silicone ink technical data sheet or sell sheet.
- Silicone ink requires a catalyst.
- Silicone ink often requires a retardant to improve on-press life.
- Silicone ink has on-press life of up to 6 hours.
- Silicone ink is only recommended to add enough ink to the screen for 2 to 3 hours.
- Silicone ink is not available in a selection of colors, you must custom mix them.
- Silicone ink must be cleaned from the screen immediately as it will cure with time.
- Silicone ink is not recommended for automated equipment.
- Silicone ink is not recommended for “fuzzy” fabric.
As excited as many screen printers were about silicone ink when they first found out about it, these facts inevitably sent them searching for an easier alternative. This is where ELT-S Series comes in. Here is a list of reasons ELT-S Series is a better choice when compared to silicone ink:
- Soft/stretchy feel.
- Impressive opacity on dark fabric.
- Excellent bleed resistance on polyester.
- Universal ink. ELT-S will screen print on virtually any fabric.
- No catalyst required unless you are screen printing waterproof nylon or waterproof polyester.
- It’s plastisol. ELT-S Series can be left in the screen like any other plastisol ink.
- Huge color selection with custom color matching available.
Now that I have compared ELT-S to silicone ink, explained the benefits of a quick flash and a low cure temperature, let me tell you why you are really going to make the change. The fact is, you are tired of worrying about expensive fabric. Whether it is a name brand polyester hoodie or an inexpensive neon yellow tee, you don’t want to order one or two more pieces for a screen printing snafu. You don’t want to set that job up again tomorrow for these few replacements. You really don’t want to replace hundreds or even thousands of $65.00 uniforms due to dye migration that did not exist when they left your shop. All of these problems cost you far too much money to keep using high temperature, often ineffective inks. This is a better way. ELT-S gives you the ability to sleep at night. Nobody knows how the next shirt is going to react to your ink or dryer. ELT-S will always give you the best chance at success. I won’t sit here and tell you there will never be a problem with ELT-S in your shop. However, I will tell you there is not an ink on the planet that can do what this ink can do.